Friday, November 4, 2011

Of Serpents And Apples




I'm a big fan of python.

It's a great language that just about anyone can learn. I often recommend it as a good first language for young programmers and for designers or professionals who express a desire to learn programming.

The language is elegant and powerful, but doesn't bog down in a lot of the typical quicksand that people get stuck in when trying to get something working. So you get a lot done quickly, and that motivates you to stay with it. It's not an ideal performance language, but it's "good enough" for most non-critical tasks...like say writing a Wishful RPG in a few 20 minutes weeknight sessions before bed.

For making games, there is a great module called PyGame. It's what we're using for WishfulRPGs.

Another great thing about Python is that it runs on a mac. While I have used every type of computer under the sun, and at work am usually limited to a specific platform for the kind of development we're doing, for my personal computer I have used Apple powerbooks for ... well since they were called the Apple IIc -- the c stands for "compact".

Years ago, I had a seminal Apple buying conversation with my friend Quinn. The topic of size came up, and the best advice was given: (paraphrased) "Get the smallest Powerbook. The 13". It's more convenient to carry, so you'll take it more places, and thus use it more."

While some of the larger ones are kind of cool, it's easier and better (and cheaper) to get a large separate monitor. That said, I never need it. And again always have a large set up at work. My laptop goes with me everywhere, and I am cozy and happy tip-typing on a couch at home or a comfy chair at the coffee shop or on the train, etc.

The point is one of convenience and joy. All those little 20 minutes sessions can add up to a lot of good creative output. In game development, the key is little iterations and experiments. You'd think that the name "game" development would tip people off to the fact that the only way to be successful is to "play".

No comments:

Post a Comment